- Aspect details
care to children by feeding them and giving them what they want
Hannah Ministry, an autonomous organisation within the Anglican diocese of Byumba in Northern Rwanda, wishes to encourage individuals, churches, business groups, grant-making trusts and other specialty organizations to commit to three year sponsorships of child-headed orphan families. The sponsorship will be administered by the UK charity, Friends of Byumba Trust , set up to encourage such humanitarian initiatives within the Byumba area.
Hannah Ministry has identified and is already providing a modicum of support to about 200 child-led orphan family units in the Byumba area.
12 family units have received sponsorship resulting from spontaneous initiatives from individual foreign donors. In some sense these sponsorships have been a pilot programme, enabling the team to develop and refine the sponsorship proposal which it now wishes to make available to the rest of the families by making a concerted effort to find additional sponsors.
The Hannah Ministry programmes aim to achieve the following by the provision of practical support:
- Empower the oldest child to take responsibility for his or her brothers and sisters to create a child-led family unit.
- Counseling and personal and group therapy (with other family unit leaders)
- Regular coaching and support in planning for the needs of the unit.
- Provision of vocational training designed to the skills and aptitude of each family leader.
-Provide basic needs to the family unit.
- Basic food needs.
- Accommodation (often providing a roof, windows and doors on walls built by the children and their neighbours).
- Social insurance to cover sickness and health needs.
- Manpower to create and work on garden plots to grow foodstuffs making a large contribution towards achieving self-sufficiency in food.
- Release the pressure on the family unit of treatment of children infected with HIV/AIDS
- Free provision of nourishing meals in the central Hannah Ministry facility in order to strengthen the body to enable effective drug treatment.
The sponsorship package, to which Hannah Ministry asks each sponsor to commit is as follows. Sponsorship can either be individual, or as a group, so long as all members of the group commits to it:
- A pledge of Â£20 per month over three years to be paid by Standing Order into the Friends of Byumba Trust. (The three year pledged commitment is important, so that the recipient family does not feel rejected by frequent changes in stand-in parents)
- UK tax-paying sponsors are encouraged to make their pledges by Gift Aid. Funds derived from covenant tax recovery received by Friends of Byumba Trust will be used to support the Hannah Ministry team, infrastructure and operating costs in Byumba. All the pledged sums will be used to support the needs of the child-led families. (However, since the precise needs of family units will vary, the actual use of the funds to each family will be at the discretion of the Hannah Ministry staff)
- Provision by the sponsor of photographs and a brief resume (in the format provided) of the sponsor and its members.
- Each 6 months, the sponsor will receive an updated photo, together with letter (with translation) from the members of the family unit, together with a short report on progress, issues, challenges from a Hannah Ministry staff member.
- Every year, each sponsor will receive a summary copy of the Hannah Ministry Annual. Report, highlighting issues, progress and financial situation of the ministry as a whole
- Sponsors are encouraged to correspond and send updated photos as they wish, and the staff undertake to make such material readily available to the children.
- Six months before the end of the three year sponsorship period, Hannah Ministry will supply the sponsor with an assessment of the state of self-sufficiency of the family, together with an assessment of the need for any further sponsorship, and at what level (without any obligation on the sponsor to continue with sponsorship support).
feeding kid in hannah ministris